5/22/11

Enraptured

"I used to think a wedding was a simple affair. Boy and girl meet, they fall in love, he buys a ring, she buys a dress, they say I do. I was wrong. That's getting married. A wedding is an entirely different proposition. I know. I've just been through one. Not my own, my daughter's. Annie Banks Mackenzie. That's her married name: Mackenzie. You fathers will understand. You have a little girl. An adorable little girl who looks up to you and adores you in a way you could never have imagined. I remember how her little hand used to fit inside mine. Then comes the day when she wants to get her ears pierced, and wants you to drop her off a block before the movie theater. From that moment on you're in a constant panic. You worry about her meeting the wrong kind of guy, the kind of guy who only wants one thing, and you know exactly what that one thing is, because it's the same thing you wanted when you were their age. Then, you stop worrying about her meeting the wrong guy, and you worry about her meeting the right guy. That's the greatest fear of all, because, then you lose her. It was just six months ago that that happened here. Just six months ago, that the storm broke." (George Banks, Father of the Bride, 1991)

In anticipation of this weekend's End Of The World, I spent several days lost in boxes of photos, reminiscing about special moments and people in my life. My body and my computer have been overtaken by viruses the last few days, and that trip down Memory Lane was a perfect opportunity for me to begin gathering photographs for a slide show for the rehearsal dinner.


Thank you for my party, Mama
As I get overwhelmed with To Do Lists and thinking of the questions to ask, the decisions to make and such, panic sets in for a few moments. But, God mercifully sends a song over the radio, puts something on TV, or brings to mind something that sends memories of the Princess flooding through my brain like the Mississippi River. The panic is quickly replaced with a smile or chuckle.

No visions of sugar plums dancing in her head...
Candy Canes in her mouth and hand!





When contemplating the time to have a wedding, you have to consider several things: How will the hour affect lighting and decorations and photography; will the time of day interfere with mealtime for the wedding party and guests; will the time affect how far the newlyweds will be able to travel after the celebration; how long will the day be for the wedding party, especially if there are children in the party (or parents in the wedding party). Thinking about this reminded me of a Christmas when the Princess had a full day of opening gifts, eating lots of good food, playing with cousins, being spoiled by all the grandparents and aunts and uncles, and just being adorable. I am not sure which part of the day drained her the most, certainly not the being adorable part, but she fell asleep in my lap, with part of a candy cane in her mouth and part of it in her sticky little fist. It was a long day for her. I can still taste the peppermint on her mouth when I kissed her goodnight.
 

I feel just like Snow White!
Thank you, Mama!

On those days when I am frustrated because I can't get all the blocks checked off on my To Do List for the day, I will receive a text or email or phone call thanking me for things that I have done. Those messages send my racing mind back to all the outfits and costumes made and the birthday parties planned and all the hugs I received with a "thank you, Mama" or "I love you, Mama." Oh, to have those days back! 






first vacation--Tenn and Smokey Mtns

As we discuss details, or she calls to tell me about something she has done or one of the To Do's she has taken care of, I think about all the things we have done together. I remember all the "firsts" and all the times she has done something and anxiously awaited our reaction, hoping for our approval. For most of her childhood, Dad worked rotating shifts, which meant he was on a night shift 2/3 of the month, therefore, Princess and I were on our own a lot. We had our own little PJ parties...just the 2 of us. We did so many fun things together and shared so much. Prince Charming is very lucky. She will be sharing things with him and having special times with him (and all the little dukes and duchesses to come) and those times will not include us. But that is as it should be. I have my memories and my photos. One day, she may be writing a blog as she helps her little princess plan a wedding, then she will know what it's like! LOL


Trust between Mama and child

The day Mama thought she misplaced her!

I am glad we are all still here and no one was left behind.  Preparing for The Rapture only has one item on it's To Do List, and there is only One consultant to help you prepare for it. I am prepared and can only pray that the couple are too. But I can imagine George Banks anticipating it as he goes reeling toward his daughter's wedding day. He would want it to happen either before all the plans are made and money spent, or way after the wedding. I laugh, because in my mind I can see him standing there, pleading "stop, wait....we have to have this wedding first!" LOL

Back to blogging in the coming week, I will share a really cool (and oh-so-easy, inexpensive, time-saving) option for creating your Save the Date cards (and Rehearsal Dinner invitations) and catch you up on all the plans we have made since finding our definite venues. There are only 160 days left!



Funniest picture ever! 
"Dad, what are you waiting for?  Inauguration? Us girls are burning up here!" 
Not sure which was scarier...my glasses or her hair!