5/28/11

The Theme's the thing


I have been amazed at the wedding themes that have actually been used...in real life!  From bizarre to boring, cartoon to crazy, daring to disturbing.

On the website GadgetHer there is an article justifiably titled "18 Craziest and Most Bizarre Wedding Themes."  And there are some doozies!  When Princess and I discuss themes, this is all  that sticks in my mind. LOL Favorite things from your childhood might be nice to include in a wedding, but Hello Kitty in the wedding party?  Not unless Mom and Dad own the company and are giving you away at a million dollar event. And what if you don't want to use pink in your color scheme?  And, if you loved clowns as a child, that is sweet, but if you have guests who have seen Stephen King's It, or Clown House (or there are children in the wedding party) you might want to rethink dressing as clowns at your own wedding.  Just a thought.

Crazy_Wedding_Theme_8And of course, there are always the favorite cartoons and comic book heroes.  I think, no matter how much I love the Shrek series, I would not want my groom and myself to be portrayed as ogres on our wedding day. Even if it is a particularly loving ogre. Sorry.  And as much as I love some people, if they dress up as super heroes and want me to do so as well, I might have to come down with a serious illness requiring complete bedrest the day of the wedding.  If Prince Charming doesn't like to wear a coat and tie, I cannot imagine getting him into tights!  Actually, that is something I really, really don't want to imagine. Of course, the wedding party would be interesting.  Bridesmaids could all be the fairy princesses and groomsmen could  be donkeys and cats?  Now, one cartoon that might work...Scooby Doo, as long as the bride and groom aren't dressed as Scooby and Shaggy! 


Literature and movies might work.  In some cases. Just because it is a good book or good film, doesn't mean it makes a good wedding theme!  Romeo and Juliet--understandable.  Lord of the Rings (I have neither read the book nor seen the movies) might be OK, from what I have seen. Maybe. But, Peter Pan is pushing it, I think.  It is a little disturbing to think of a man-boy marrying a fairy.  And who would your attendants be?  The Lost Boys?  That leads into another whole genre!  LOL  Perhaps if it were Peter Pan and Wendy it might not be quite as disturbing.  But, I would be thinking "poor Wendy, she will be the dorm mother living in a frat house."  Star Wars and Star Trek, umm, no. Why not Robin Hood and Maid Marian? I could go for that!

Another theme that is quite popular is the "this is what we love to do together" or the  "this is how we met" theme.  That can be very sweet...you met at a Botanical Garden or you both enjoy gardening--you have your ceremony in a garden or decorate with lots of flowers.  But, just because you enjoy skydiving, scuba diving, or mountain climbing, does not mean your guests (or your wedding party) will as well. My goodness, if you met at a boxing match, what would that mean? Or a funeral?  Let's just make up this rule: if your wedding invitations mention updating life insurance or your reception favors include first aid kits, it might be time to rethink those plans! By the way....save your stamp if you plan to invite me to a wedding that involves oxygen or water.  
          

Okay, so I will just warn you.  Royal couple have a theme...actually several!  LOL.  To some, the theme may be as bizarre as Hello Kitty.  (I promise it's not California Raisins, Smurfs, nor Rainbow Brite)  The theme for this wedding involves the season and some things that brought them together,which thankfully do NOT include dangerous feats.  So, with October 29 being the date, bet you can guess what one of the themes involves.  Halloween, sort of.  And M&M's: Movies and Music.  Pop culture.  Tell you all about it....